Monday 30 July 2012

Growing Up is Hard to Do

I'm hardly new to adult life, I'm 26 years old- so according to provincial law I've been an adult for 8 years.  8 years?!  And yet I still sit in a fruitless and unrelated job, not doing what I want to be doing.  Am I where I thought I would be at 26 years old?  Hell no!  Rewind to a 16 year old me and I would have told you about the farm, truck and horses I would own with the husband and children I would have, writing for some big shot newspaper or magazine.  Recruitment?  Nah- I don't think I even knew about that job until it was introduced to me.  Snooze.

But I've realized, I'm not really "behind", like I once thought I was.  We all are.  I look at the friends around me, and I think all but one are not where they thought they would be.  So I guess I'm not in too bad shape...right?  Either way, growing up is hard to do!  There's so much to consider and worry about.  Money becomes more than, "I want to buy this shirt" and responsibilities become more than, "I've got to walk my dog".

I'm quite content with making my own decisions, owning my own things and just generally running a life without parental rules.  But I also know I don't want to rush it.  I've got my whole life to be "adult" and old... so right now I'm going to continue enjoying my in-between life.  What can we coin the in-between teen and adulthood...?? Young adult is so boring.  (Let me know if you have any suggestions.)  Right now I can continue doing things like getting a tattoo of Waldo...yes from Where's Waldo fame, on my foot. And taking unwarranted sick days.  Yup.  Those things sound good to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment